Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Metacognition and Critical Think Blog Post 2


        I was very interested to look at the metacognitive regulation practices presented in the reading. When I initially looked at the three processes (planning, monitoring, and evaluating) and their descriptions, none of them really looked like things that I often do. However, I have always been a good student.
        I suppose, according to the book definition, I do a lot of planning. I strategize in my studies about what I need to do for each class to get a good grade while not overwhelming myself and while enjoying the class. Often, this means that I do not do everything the teacher recommends. For example, in some of my classes where the teacher covers all of the material in the book in class, I will not do the reading. However, if I need extra help understanding, or if I have an assignment based off the reading, then I will do it.
        I do not too closely monitor or evaluate. These activities happen, but rarely. I think that if a problem began to arise, I would probably turn to them to get my grades and studies back on track.

3 comments:

  1. I agree. I too do not do extra work if its not necessary.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you're evaluating your thinking (or judging by grades and the strategies you used before the grade), then it's often not required that you change your strategy. If you get an A+, then you don't really NEED to think further about how you got there. There's no need to change a strategy, so it makes sense that you dont push further.

    Metacognitive skill is something separate from what someone might call 'intelligence'. Whatever you believe about intelligence, it's true that some students will naturally learn quicker or more easily with little effort. Someone who fits these qualities might not ever NEED to evaluate their own thinking, but still do well.

    ReplyDelete