Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Post 1


Discovery learning means that the teacher does not provide the students with the information, but the students are required to find the information on their own. I think this has a lot to do with behaviorism because if the students are not motivated to do it they may not. The teacher could change their behavior by having consequences for the students if they do not do the assignment. With direct instruction the teacher directly tells the students what they are supposed to do. This could deal with the social cognitive theory. The only way the teacher would have the student’s attention is if the students are listening to the teacher (model) and performing what she shows them or what she tells them to do. By doing this the students should learn whatever it is the teacher wishes them to.
I think that there are many theories that are valuable. I have had different teachers use multiple ones and I think a lot of them can be successful. I think discovery learning is important because it causes the student to find things on their own. The information is not presented to them, so their thinking may be expanded since they might know nothing about the topic. Since they don’t know much about the topic it may cause the students to think deeper about it and actually question the topic.
A lesson I could use in class for discovery learning is giving the students a topic and making them research it. I would make them hand in some notes they took and then require them to write a paper or do some sort of project. I would choose this because if I told them all about the topic they would not have to research it as much and would probably put in less effort since it is given to them .This will make the students learn more about the topic because they would have to be reading things about it. My learning objective would be for the students to become familiar with the topic. By looking at their notes I can see if they are in the right direction and if they are not I can help them and lead them another way. The students would accomplish learning about the topic by their exploration. 

1 comment:

  1. I really liked your idea about the research project. That will help them learn multiple skills that they can carrying on throughout their schooling.

    ReplyDelete