Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Module 12 and 14 Blog Post 2


One of the best metacognition strategies for me is note taking and outlining.  Whenever I am assigned a chapter to read in a textbook, I outline the chapter by taking notes over information that I think is important throughout the different sections.  When I am finished reading the chapter, I go back through my notes and highlight the important terms and concepts I want to remember.  This strategy is effective for me because I know that if I just read the book without looking for important information to write down, I will remember very little from what I read.  I also can use my notes over the chapters to review for the test instead of rereading the entire textbook.  By taking notes I’m encoding the information into my memory, and by reviewing my notes I’m encoding plus storing the information.  When studying for tests I use my notes to make graphs and other matrix notes grouping concepts together in ways that are easy to remember and study.  In the book, it is said that the strategy of taking notes and reviewing them is the most effective encoding strategy.  It’s also said that 50% of notes can be recalled on a test while only about 15% of stuff not in notes can be recalled.  I think over the years of studying I realized that these strategies worked best for me in learning and using the most information.  

No comments:

Post a Comment