Monday, October 8, 2012

Modules 12 and 14 Blog Post 2


When studying, I use notes that I have taken in class. I prefer hand-writing my notes rather than using a teacher’s PowerPoint because that way I am forced to pay attention to the material and write everything down. By writing it on my own, I am processing the information a little better, while listening to my teacher explain it at the same time. I am also able to include thoughts that come at the moment and relate it to the notes that I am taking in class. Note-taking helps me make connections with real-world examples easily. I study these notes a night or two before an exam and try to think of potential questions that could be asked from certain sections. For example, to study for the P251 midterm, I would look through all of the notes I have taken on the different learning theories and try to think of questions that would be asked on the midterm. Knowing the theorists behind each theory would be something of importance and also being able to explain what he/she thought about each theory. I would also want to compare and contrast each theory to make sure that I can tell the specific similarities and differences between each one. These are effective ways of studying because I am preparing myself for a variety of scenarios even before taking the exam. By reviewing the material and the notes I have taken, I will be able to ensure if I have mastered the material or not and which areas I need to improve on. 

1 comment:

  1. I do the same thing--the notes are more meaningful if you create them yourself in relation to your own understanding--and it makes sense, based on the psychology. If you write things as they make sense to you, with small personal examples, then you're relating to your previous knowledge (it's encoding!) Also, if you can do the notetaking automatically, you can look at the notes and do more higher order thinking about them in considering the implications of what you just wrote, or how it relates to something else.

    ReplyDelete