Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Equity Post 1


I thought it was interesting to consider the effects of the home environment have on a student’s education.  I also thought it was interesting that simple things such as vision problems or hearing problems could greatly effect a child’s learning, and these problems can easily be fixed.  

A school is typically set up based on the majority population.  If the majority of the students at the school are white and celebrate Christmas, the teacher may talk about Christmas and neglect to discuss the other holidays that students of different backgrounds may celebrate.  Classrooms are inequitable when not all cultural groups are addressed.  Also it’s important for teachers to teach in a way that all students from different backgrounds can learn and understand. 

I would help Alice in my classroom by helping her understand the difference between formal and informal language.  I will instruct to her that it’s important to use formal language in school.  I will correct her in a positive way when she speaks using informal language so that I am not degrading her or harming her self-efficacy.  When she may say something like “I bes fine” I would tell her that I would rather her say “I am fine.”  This way Alice can learn the proper way to speak, and start developing habits to speak using formal language.  It’s important to not allow Alice to use her home language or she will never learn academic language and continue to struggle.  If formal language is picked up at a young age Alice will have an easier time advancing in school.  I can help Alice during extra classroom time by providing grammar worksheets and one-on-one help so she begins to develop these new grammar skills.  

1 comment:

  1. I like your ideas here, but I want to make an important note. You note you are teaching Alice the 'proper way to speak'. This is something A LOT of teachers might say, but I want you to recognize why it's problematic (this may or may not be what you meant, but I want to be sure).

    You might want to look over the slides from Monday. It's important to emphasize the non traditional language and formal academic language as simply two dialects of English, NOT preferencing one over another, or calling one 'the proper way to speak'. The emphasis should be on building a bridge from the old to new dialect, or teaching them the new dialect as a new (additional) language.

    Of course, telling them why academic langauge is important to their future success is a good idea, as you suggest. NOT teaching them academic language would put them at a disadvantage, but there is no reason to assume they will NEVER use their more comfortable dialect (outside of school). Maybe you can communicate when you expect academic language (and teach them this dialect if they don't know it) and when they can choose.

    ReplyDelete