Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Extrinsic Motivation Post 2


According to the Dweck article, teachers and parents should praise the children on their effort and on specific achievements. They should not be praised according to intelligence. The more specific the praise the better. This way, kids will know exactly what they did right. Other students will also see small things that they can do.Students that rely on praise feel that they must prove their intelligence with little effort. If this is the case then students might have the tendency to cut corners on assignments or even cheat when it comes to taking a test. 

2 comments:

  1. I really like the things you focused on here. I found it helpful when the article said it was good to praise specific things. I also really think that is true because then you know what to keep doing and what you might need to work on and the praise can be more constructive.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I got the same things out of the reading. I agree with Dweck in that children should be praised on their effort and certain achievements. I have personally seen where students in my high school would try to prove their intelligence without trying very hard.

    ReplyDelete