Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Intrinsic Motivation Blog Prompt 1



Self-Efficacy Theory is the theory from this module that I thought would help me to help a new teacher in their new classroom. The Self-Efficacy Theory is based on self-efficacy, self-regulation, and teacher efficacy. These are needed to fully understand student motivation and achievement in the classroom. Self-efficacy is when a student’s motivation for a task is influenced by his/her expectation of capability or success when performing a task or an activity. To be motivated a student has to have high outcome (particular actions lead to particular outcomes) and efficacy (requisite knowledge or skills are used to achieve the outcome) expectations. A teacher should also be aware that self-efficacy in a specific student can vary across subject areas. There are 4 main aspects that influence self-efficacy in students: past performance, vicarious experiences, verbal persuasion, and start of emotional arousal. Teachers should be aware that transitioning from elementary to middle school and from middle school to high school can cause declines in self-efficacy. Self- regulation is the ability for a student to control their emotions and behaviors by consequences. Students with high self-regulation set educational goals, they self- monitor and evaluate, and they use effective strategies. Teacher efficacy is the belief that they as teachers have all of the skills needed to teach students. There are many factors that can influence a teacher’s efficacy.

What does learned helplessness look like in a Kindergarten classroom compared to a 12th grade class?

I have been very successful throughout school. I was successful in athletics and academics. I feel like I was successful in both because of my internal causes concerning my efforts and abilities. I was naturally athletic and school came easy to me when I was younger. All of my abilities were not just natural though. I had to study and practice hard and frequently to be as successful as I was. I believe that success is stable. I put forth effort in everything I did. I never just slacked off or quit trying.I feel like my success was very controllable. When I put in the effort I saw positive results and when I did not put in the effort I saw negative results.

3 comments:

  1. I would think learned helplessness in a kindergarten classroom would be something related to students not being able to identify letters. If they become frustrated in the beginning and don't get reinforcement that they are doing well, they'll end up being less motivated and refuse to try hard because they feel they won't get better. Learned helplessness in a 12th grade classroom would include students not doing well on tests because they have never done well on tests. Obviously, in a 12th grade classroom, the reasons for learned helplessness will be deeper since there is more going on in a 12th grader's life as opposed to a kindergartener's life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Zahra! I also think that a kindergarten student would probably be more up front with not knowing something oposed to a 12th grade student. For example, I have a student in kindergarten now who out right says, "I don't know" when I am trying to do an assessment with her. I then get her to try and we work through it together...but I believe that a 12th grade student would probably not tell the teacher that (s)he doesn't understand. This would probably seem embarassing to the student if his/her peers understand the material. No one wants to be the only person that doesn't understand.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree as well, I think that a learned helplessness in a classroom involves students who do not get praise to end up not doing well and not having any motivation to continue what they are doing. Learned helplessness in a 12th grade classroom would involve students not doing well on an assignment because they have not previously done well on similar assignments. In a 12th grade classroom learned helplessness is much more relevant to the students learning than for a kindergardener. It must be addressed in 12th grade with deeper thought to make sure the student is emotionally okay in school and with kindergarden a little praise can go a long way.

    ReplyDelete