Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Post 1


In this chapter they talk about intrinsic and extrinsic motivation. Intrinsic motivation is motivation that is driven by an interest or enjoyment in a certain task. This exists within the individual rather than relying on any external pressure. The book also talks about the Flow Theory. If you use this in a sports outlook it means that your “in the zone.” Flow means that the student or person has a feeling of intrinsic enjoyment in a certain task that is challenging and rewarding. With these two emotions it makes the player feel as one with the task that they are performing. Experiences that promotes flow have a tendency to: have rules that require the learning of new skills, established goals to achieve,provides feedback,allows the players to have a sense of control. Some examples that the book gives are playing an instrument,chess,and even rock climbing. 

Since the Flow Theory is suppose to make a person feel as though they are one with the task that they are performing, is there a theory that makes a participate feel like they are out of the game. Like an out of body experience? 

I have become successful in school because I push my self to succeed. I haven’t always been successful in school my whole life. It mainly started when I had to repeat the second grade. After watching all my friends move on to the third grade without me is when I really wanted to push myself to become successful in school. I would study more , ask more questions during class and really focus on my homework instead of rushing through it to go play. I pushed myself to get into the IU as well. I didn’t get accepted the first time I applied here. Instead of turning away and attending a scecond choice school I decided to do what I did in second grade. I studied harder, took more time on my studies and asked more questions then normally. My success was unstable at some points in my life but if I wanted to achieve something I could make my study success into a stable quality in my life. 

2 comments:

  1. It appears as if you're following the prompts from the Intrinsic Motivation prompt, but the distinction between extrinsic/intrinsic and Flow Theory were discussed in Module 15. This week focused on 16 and 17, so make sure you're familiar with that material.

    In your last paragraph, the prompt was to connect these experiences to attribution theory--take a look at Module 16 and analyze these factors according to attribution. Did you believe your success or failure was attributed to something stable or unstable, internal or external, controllable or uncontrollable? How did that affect your motivation?

    ReplyDelete
  2. For the initial description here, I'd like you to do less of listing topics or quoting parts of the book like the phrase 'in the zone'. What are the higher level take aways from this chapter for a practicing teacher (which you will be)? What tools can be used from this material? What do you remember most saliently once you step away from reading (in your own words)?

    ReplyDelete